Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Warm Birdbath in the Sun

A fresh blue birdbath sitting in the sun
That's what I'd ask for every day
before I sang.
Or maybe barley bread-- just a crumb.

I'd perch on a swinging supple branch
and I'd chirp my heart away
For a balmy day
When all the hawks have flown
And cats are lazy.
Oh I'd sing for you!

But even if the clouds hold back their rain
And gray cats prowl while hawks patrol the sky
And morning is just one sunbeam through the fog
Oh I will sing, I still will sing.
Demanding nothing

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the reminder that the truly lovely things in this world do not demand anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. So true. Deep breath of pleasure. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this -- the songbird's perspective. You put a big smile on my face, and in my mind, I can hear her song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely! If only we could all just enjoy our own songs and demand nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just a lovely post! I like the idea of dropping go of demands and expectations. we have a lot to learn from nature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. to sing just because we are born to. to splash in a warm birdbath. sigh - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do have something to learn from the other inhabitants of this planet don't we.

    ReplyDelete